Ilkeston - What's The Link?
w/e 09 January 2005
All this week's pictures were taken with a Kodak DX6490

Entrance To Flats
1 - Entrance To Flats
More Flats
2 - More Flats
Carpet Salesroom
3 - Carpet Salesroom
These thumbnail pictures show the entrances to six buildings scattered about Ilkeston. There are two blocks of flats, a carpet sales room, a day nursery and two pubs but besides these pictures all showing the main entrances, can you guess what else forms a common link between the buildings?
Children's Day Nursery
4 - Children's Day Nursery
Cafe Bar
5 - Cafe Bar
Public House
6 - Public House
 Burns Street

1 - This first building contains flats and stands behind the Scala Cinema on Burns Street. We passed this one previously in Stage 19 of the Town Walk.
Cotmanhay Road

2 - The second building on Cotmanhay Road is also flats but the road name plate on the left is a clue to the link.
Stamford Street

3 - Regent Carpets sell their wares from this building on Stamford Street.
Park Road

4 - On Park Road, a children's day nursery that goes by the name of the Toddler's University, occupies a building that was previously used as a pottery warehouse.
South Street

5 - A fresh coat of paint and a sign proclaiming "Under New Management" grace the front of this building on South Street and it is another that we saw previously in Stage 11 of the Town Walk. You may have guessed from the architecture of the previous five that all the buildings were formerly churches or chapels and whilst that is true for those five, the link to the sixth building below is not so apparent.
Kensington Street

6 - This is neither a church nor a chapel but is the Needlemakers' Arms on Kensington Street, off Nottingham Road. Many years ago in 1864 in fact, two gentlemen, William Sudbury and Richard P Howard, whilst out for a Sunday morning walk noticed a number of dirty and ragged children in the area of Kensington. They suggested the formation of a Sunday School which was started in one of the cottages that stood nearby but it became so popular that it rapidly expanded into a second cottage before taking up residence in a room in the Needlemakers' Arms. Even this became too small and the middle room of a factory was used before the Sunday School moved into the newly built premises of the Kensington Mission Church in 1869.
The correct answer then to this little puzzle is that although not all formerly churches, all the buildings have been used as places of worship. They were: 1 - The Independent Chapel (forerunner of the Congregational Church); 2 - The Wesley Methodist Chapel; 3 - Stamford Street Methodist Chapel; 4 - St Mary's ( or Larklands) Mission and 5 - The Baptist Chapel.

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.