Little Eaton - A Queen And Two Saints
w/e 11 January 2004

 Little Eaton is a small place on the northern outskirts of Derby but it contains much of historical interest. On this fleeting visit there is only time to view a little of the village - a good excuse to revisit at a later date for another look.

Queen's Head

The A38 bypasses the village and now takes most of the heavy traffic but the vehicles parked outside the Queens Head were engaged in the "school run" picking up children from the Primary School opposite. The Queens Head was formerly known as the Delvers Inn, after the "delvers" who worked in the local quarries, and is a listed gritstone building dating from 1835.
Blacksmith's Shop

The low stone built building next to the pub is a blacksmith's shop and is reputed to be over 300 years old. Apparently it is still in use as a blacksmith's although on this particular afternoon all of the doors and shutters were closed.
St Peter's Park

Towards the western side of the village, a large piece of open land was donated by Thomas Bates in 1902 and is now called St Peter's Park. Before levelling to create cricket and football pitches for the community, the land showed evidence of ridge and furrow farming. The sports pavilion in the centre of this image was built in 1966 using funds raised by the villagers.
St Paul's Church

Overlooking St Peter's Park is St Paul's Church. This was built in 1791, using money raised by voluntary subscription, on the site of an earlier chapel that was in ruins by 1760, the remains of the chapel for a while being used as a blacksmith's shop. The church has been enlarged several times and the Lych Gate was erected as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the First World War. Plaques inside the Lych Gate now record the names of those who perished in both World Wars.
Parish Rooms

A little further up the lane beyond St Paul's and still overlooking the park is the Church Hall. Also known as the Parish Rooms, this building of 1841 was originally the National School, Little Eaton's first school. The building is now used on a regular basis by many community groups in the village.
Granite Obelisk

Finally on this visit we can take a look at the granite obelisk just inside St Peter's Park (note the Parish Rooms behind). This commemorates the coronation of King Edward VII and the teachers of the National School. The two plaques visible on the base of the obelisk also mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (02 June 1953), the Golden Jubilee of the park (13 June 1953) and the Centenary of the park (June 2003).

Site Navigation

"Pick A Picture"
Weekly Favourites
Latest Images
Holidays &
Days Out
Special Features
The Guest Page
Site search Web search

powered by FreeFind
Jigsaw Puzzles
Recommended Links

Terms & Conditions of Use
This website is copyright but licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 Licence.
Please credit the photographer Garth Newton, or add a link to these pages.