Awsworth - The Lane
& Main Street
w/e 29 June
It is easy to think of Cossall in terms of the village itself
but its boundaries spread much further and it is only here at
this minor crossroads that you actually leave Cossall and enter
The road through Awsworth, "The Lane" used to be one
of the main routes to and from Ilkeston until the construction
of the bypass. Now it caters mostly for local traffic. It contains
a mixture of architectural styles from various periods of its
history. One of the older buildings, inset and behind the bushes
by the lay by is the Methodist Church.
Of more recent construction a little further along The Lane is
the Village Hall. On the recreation ground behind, a game that
dates back over 225 years was in full swing. In fact it is believed
the Laws of Cricket were first printed in book form in 1775.
Another old building on The Lane is the former Infants School
(top right) that is now a Nursery and Day Centre. An entrance
to another old school that bears the inscription above the door
of "Awsworth Board School 1878" stands on Main Street
(top left). It is perhaps a sad reflection on today's society
that the school of today back on The Lane serving both the old
part of the village and the new estates that have been built
is surrounded by high fences and locked gates (bottom).
Opposite the Main Steet school building is the Church of St Peter.
The chancel is the only part of the original church of 1746 that
remains, the rest of the church being rebuilt just over 100 years
ago in 1902.
And as we conclude our walk through Awsworth, here is another
important building in village life. The village pub, "The
Crown Inn" here viewed from Main Street, stands on Croft